Wednesday 11 February 2009

First impressions


My first real post at my blog about my first impressions of Beijing. To be honest it feels kind of unreal to be here, I feel a bit like walking in a movie set and somewhere expect to walk out of it very soon. This metaphor doesn’t make any sense at all since I have never been on a movie set in my life. However it does describe my feelings for this new world and it’s not completely rubbish to think that those charming hutong streets will only belong to movies in ten or twenty years. Happily enough at this moment the hostel I stay in, is located just at the border of one of those hutongs. I won’t be too romantic about it, and I know that the CCP has a few good reasons to break down most of the hutongs, (The citizens of those lovely neighborhoods have a really small home and have to go to a public toilet and shower, which is a bit outdated, even in China.) but these hutongs are the best part of China I have seen so far. Although the Olympic area with the Birds nest was very impressive as well.


Those first few days made me think back to those first days in London when I started my time as an exchange student there. In some way it’s the same experience I guess, a completely new situation, new people, big city etc. Well the similarity with London kind of stops with my experience for going abroad for a longer time, although both London and Beijing are extremely big cities, and both cities have hosted the Olympics (just like Amsterdam!), and both the English and the Chinese drink beer with less than 4% alcohol, but then tend to drink an awful lot of it. Apart from that the difference between London and Beijing is just as big as the difference between Beijing and Amsterdam. Anyway so far I have a very good time, I like to order breakfast in the charming hutong (which in 10 years will probably not exist anymore) in Chinese which is just good enough for some really basic communications and because this are my first days here there are just too many things to see.


Last but not least a nice anecdote. When I stood in the elevator in the hostel the first day, a Chinese guy asked me “Are you from the Netherlands?” Which is really surprising cause so far most Chinese think I’m France, German, Russian, American or English, basically they just name all the big foreign countries they know of. I can’t lie about a slight feeling of pride by being recognized as a Dutch person, although it sounded a bit gay when he said he could see it because of my eyes.


Another memorable thing is the amazing amount of fireworks they fired on Monday, the first full day that I was in Beijing. This is probably one of the reasons why the new CCTV building was burned down. I haven’t seen the fire and I will never see the building… Happily enough the CCTV tower from Remco Koolhaas survived the fire so I will take a look there sometime, before there is another fire.


Finally the last thing which is absolutely fantastic is the food, it’s extremely varied, it’s cheap and so far I have only eaten delicious! So that’s it for now, my first impression about this new city is in a small summary: very chaotic, fascinating and exciting.

11 comments:

  1. Diet, glad reading your blog. seems you had really nice time in Beijing, haha! remember write one after you and zitgaar and the others watch de klassieke together!

    grt

    ReplyDelete
  2. heey Diet,
    mooi dat je je een beetje vermaakt daaro. wel relaxt een beetje goedkoop eten enzo maare je gaat nog een soort kamer vinden of blijf je in dat hostel?? ik zie wel weer eens een bericht.
    mvg Herjan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you can really settle down there
    and you can come to Chongqing if you have time,I'll show your a diffrernt side of China,but also chaotic,fascinating and exciting XDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Diet ik hoop dat je het een beetje naar je zin hebt daar. Zo als ik het lees gelukkig wel. Lijkt me echt fantastisch om zoiets mee te kunnen maken, en ben net zoals Herjan ook wel benieuwd of je daar in dat hostel blijft of nog wat anders gaat zoeken.

    Ff iets totaal anders, over wat voor eten spreken we hier nou, en komt het nog een beetje bekend voor aangezien chinees hier en daar totaal anders schijnt te zijn.

    Groetjes
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Finally the last thing which is absolutely fantastic is the food, it’s extremely varied, it’s cheap and so far I have only eaten delicious!"

    Now, THAT's a big difference between Beijing and London! :p

    Tibo

    ReplyDelete
  6. altho i have never been to Beijing,
    I am pretty sure the food there should be a lot better than food in London
    Wish you have a great time there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. peking duck!! great wall of china!! hahha, im sure u will have a blast in beijing, and practice your mandarin! ooh, for more delicious and fantastic food, singapore should be your next stop (:

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm sure you will have a great time in China :D
    hope you have chance to visit HK, which is a little bit different from Beijing~

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Diederik! Will you miss the Krispy Kremes? :D

    I'm glad to see you're well in China! I look to visit China in the summer as well!

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog entries. Enjoy yourself and the food, and do take care!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know where to find good food in Beijing already?:)Actually, everywhere is good:)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete